Skip to main content

RECIPE - Millionaires Shortbread

Baking is my "me time", my happiness and seeing people enjoying my bakes is my favourite thing. Millionaires Shortbread has always been my favourite sweet treat but I've only had it a handful of times in the 4 years of being vegan...

I've thought about making some myself for months but I've always been scared of the caramel. I've made mince pies, cakes, buttercream, cookies and quiche but caramel seemed daunting...

I did lots of caramel research and I finally plucked up the courage to make some on a rainy, lazy day at the beginning of a staycation!



Ingredients

Shortbread:
225g Plain Flour
125g Baking Butter Block
75g Caster Sugar
2tbsp Oat Milk

Caramel:
300g Caster Sugar
50g Golden Syrup
100g Baking Butter Block
250g Oatly Single Cream

Chocolate:
1 Bar each of Tesco Free From White and Dark Chocolate


1. Preheat the oven to 180c and line a 20cm x 30cm tin with baking paper.

2. Mix all the ingredients for the shortbread by hand... Get in there and crumble the butter with your finger tips before forming a soft mix ball. Don't work it too much! Just enough to hold together. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.

3. Roll out the dough and push it into the lined tin, make sure it goes to all edges or you'll end up with escaping caramel!  Bake for 15 minutes.

4. Time for the caramel! Put the sugar, butter and golden syrup in a pan and heat on a very low heat until all the sugar has dissolved, try not to stir too much but watch it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan!

5. Once all the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up a tad and add the cream. Bring to the boil and cook until it becomes a softball caramel!

TIP! Have a small cup of cold water and drop a tiny amount of the caramel mixture into it, when it's perfect it will form a soft caramel when it's dropped in! It will still be very runny when in the pan. This step took me about 15 minutes but just watch because it's very easy to burn at this stage.

6. When you've got delicious caramel, pour the mixture over the cooked shortbread making sure you have an even layer.

7. Place in the fridge to cool.

8. When cool enough, set but still warm time to melt the chocolate. I did mine in the microwave but you can do it in the pan. Melt both chocolates together and be very careful not to burn! Mix together and pour it over the cooled caramel.

9. Now be patient and leave to cool! I placed mine in the freezer for about 20 minutes but ideally you'll be less impatient than me and cool it in the fridge.

10. Cut however to choose!

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RECIPE - Pizza Dough

Pizza is a staple in our house, we have it once a week without fail. Usually we make 2 big ones and I manage to save some for lunch the next day but my partner isn't so strong at resisting... So I've started making 2 big ones and some miniatures with the same amount of dough as I used to make just the big ones. No complaints yet and we both get to enjoy it the next day too! We were stuck in a rut of toppings using a bbq sauce base, sweetcorn, mushrooms, peppers, onion and Linda McCartney sausages but this time I tried some other vegetables that we had in for other recipes this week! Ingredients: For the Dough: 200g Plain Flour 200g Self Raising Flour 7g sachet of Fast Action Yeast 1tsp Caster Sugar 1tsp Salt 2tbsp Vegetable/Sunflower Oil 225ml Warm Water Toppings: Lidl Hunter's Chicken BBQ Sauce Tesco Smoked Cheese (Free From) Linda McCartney Sausages Tin of Sweetcorn 2 Asparagus Tips Half a Red Pepper 2 Closed Cup Mushrooms 1 Red Onion S

How I Became the 'V-Word'

Everyone has a tipping point; that one moment where everything syncs in your mind and you realise your morals and compassion have to align with your daily lifestyle. Some come later than others and that’s okay, as long as we all get there in the end for humanities sake. My realisation didn’t come until Christmas 2015, I was 20. Some may say this is early in life to realise but I’m still astonished it didn’t come sooner. After being vegetarian for 8 years, purely because I thought it was weird to eat a living being and didn’t feel comfortable doing so, I watched Cowspiracy whilst eating a cheese pizza. That was the last dairy I knowingly ate (apart from the occasional curry shop mint sauce that I will come back to later). School was constantly feeling left out, being called “rabbit” and people finding my ironic surname “Bacon” hilarious on a daily basis (people still mention it when they find out and I just let them have a little giggle and get over

Fears and Food

Daily life is a struggle for some. Anxiety and stress overpower people. Some people have figured (some of) the triggers and for others it's still a journey. For myself, going vegan made me realise some triggers for my own anxiety and depression.  Growing up I always had a distant relationship with food. I was that kid in the YouTube video crying because she doesn't understand why we eat chickens, pigs and cows. Then due to situations out of my control I suffered with an ED as a teenager. I went 6 months only eating custard creams, bananas and my nans homemade Quorn spag bol. I was vegetarian from the age of 12-20.  The decision to go vegan was one I'd thought about for a long time before transitioning. The main reasons I didn't do it straight away was because I didn't want to be awkward, a nuisance, or to draw attention to myself (oh, and coleslaw). When I realised my food choices were contributing to my anxiety I knew I had to stop putting myself