Skip to main content

RECIPE - Tofu Vegetable Quiche

This is my first recipe post... It's something I've been thinking about doing for a while and today I made something new and exciting so I wanted to share it...

VEGAN QUICHE!



When I was vegetarian I didn't like eggs; the thought that they are chicken periods always grossed me out. My nan always made me quiche when she did family buffets and no matter how many times I told her I didn't like it she still always made it for me. The older I got the more I realised that family and love come before anything else so I used to have a small portion and proclaim my appreciation for her effort.

Now, my partner is vegan and says he used to love quiche but I always believed recreating eggs in vegan-form would be terribly difficult. After researching many  different takes on vegan versions I trialled my own recipe...




Ingredients:

Ready-Rolled Shortcrust Pastry
1 pack (350g) Extra Firm Silken Tofu
1/2 cup Soya Milk
2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp Turmeric
Various vegetables of your choice... I used Asparagus, Babycorn, Red Pepper, Spring Onion, Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash.

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Grease a 12 hole muffin tray.
3. Chop all the vegetables into small pieces as this recipe is for mini quiches.
4. Roast all the vegetables for 5/10 minutes, just while you prep the rest of the recipe.
5. In a blender, mix the Tofu, milk, nutritional yeast and turmeric until smooth.
6. Cut out 12 circles of pastry using a cookie cutter and press down and up the sides of the muffin tray.
7. Fill the pastry cases 3/4 up with the Tofu mix.
8. Now get inventive with the flavours and add it to the quiches!
9. Bake for 15 minutes (or until slightly browned on top).
10. Let cool in the tray for 10 minutes then take out and let fully cool on a cooling rack!

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RECIPE - Pizza Dough

Pizza is a staple in our house, we have it once a week without fail. Usually we make 2 big ones and I manage to save some for lunch the next day but my partner isn't so strong at resisting... So I've started making 2 big ones and some miniatures with the same amount of dough as I used to make just the big ones. No complaints yet and we both get to enjoy it the next day too! We were stuck in a rut of toppings using a bbq sauce base, sweetcorn, mushrooms, peppers, onion and Linda McCartney sausages but this time I tried some other vegetables that we had in for other recipes this week! Ingredients: For the Dough: 200g Plain Flour 200g Self Raising Flour 7g sachet of Fast Action Yeast 1tsp Caster Sugar 1tsp Salt 2tbsp Vegetable/Sunflower Oil 225ml Warm Water Toppings: Lidl Hunter's Chicken BBQ Sauce Tesco Smoked Cheese (Free From) Linda McCartney Sausages Tin of Sweetcorn 2 Asparagus Tips Half a Red Pepper 2 Closed Cup Mushrooms 1 Red Onion S

How I Became the 'V-Word'

Everyone has a tipping point; that one moment where everything syncs in your mind and you realise your morals and compassion have to align with your daily lifestyle. Some come later than others and that’s okay, as long as we all get there in the end for humanities sake. My realisation didn’t come until Christmas 2015, I was 20. Some may say this is early in life to realise but I’m still astonished it didn’t come sooner. After being vegetarian for 8 years, purely because I thought it was weird to eat a living being and didn’t feel comfortable doing so, I watched Cowspiracy whilst eating a cheese pizza. That was the last dairy I knowingly ate (apart from the occasional curry shop mint sauce that I will come back to later). School was constantly feeling left out, being called “rabbit” and people finding my ironic surname “Bacon” hilarious on a daily basis (people still mention it when they find out and I just let them have a little giggle and get over

RECIPE - Cheese Straws

I used to love cheese straws from my local bakery and when I started baking vegan goodies it was on my list of things to make! RECIPE Ingredients: Half a roll of Puff Pastry Enough vegan Cheese to cover the pastry with a thin layer 2 tsps of mustard (optional) Pre heat oven to 180 degrees. 1. Lightly roll out the puff pastry. 2. Cover the pastry with a thin spread of mustard (or you could use chutney or marmite) 3. Layer the cheese on top. 4. Fold the pastry in half and roll out. Slice the pastry into 8 long pieces. 5. Twist the strips into spirals. 6. Cook on a pizza tray for 12 minutes or until slightly browned. Enjoy!