Skip to main content

RECIPE - Sweet Potato, Lentil & Vegetable Curry


I love a curry. Thai, Indian, sweet, sour, tomato, coconut, spicy or mild. The aromas filling the house, making it feel like a home.

Normally I chuck whatever vegetables we have got to use up with some chickpeas and red lentils in the slow cooker topped with some coconut milk and tomato passatta and see what happens but, sometimes I take my time over a dish. I adore cooking, as you've probably realised and nothing beats a huge pot of something spicy bubbling away on the stove.



My last throw together dish has got to be the best curry I've ever made! So this recipe post is mostly for me to remember how I did it, but hopefully some of you will enjoy making it too...


Ingredients:

1 Red Onion sliced thinly
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic granules
1/2 tsp chilli or more if you prefer it hotter!
1 tsp tikka masala powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 sweet potato cut into 2cm cubes
1 green pepper cut into 2cm cubes
1 cup dried red lentils
1 tin reduced fat coconut milk
2 tins water added as necessary
Frozen cauliflower and broccoli

1. Add oil to a pan and add red onion, tomato puree and all herbs and spices! Allow to cook on a medium heat until the onion is soft and it smells beautiful!

2. Add a few tbsp's of water and the pepper and sweet potato and coat in the paste.

3. Add the lentils and coconut milk. Here you can add a little of the water if the coconut milk doesn't quite cover the lentils and vegetables.

4. Allow to simmer for as long as your rice takes to cook, or about 20 minutes! Keep an eye on it and add water using the coconut milk tin as needed, the lentils will quickly soak up the water! Half way through add the frozen cauliflower and broccoli.

5. Serve with rice!

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RECIPE - Pizza Dough

Pizza is a staple in our house, we have it once a week without fail. Usually we make 2 big ones and I manage to save some for lunch the next day but my partner isn't so strong at resisting... So I've started making 2 big ones and some miniatures with the same amount of dough as I used to make just the big ones. No complaints yet and we both get to enjoy it the next day too! We were stuck in a rut of toppings using a bbq sauce base, sweetcorn, mushrooms, peppers, onion and Linda McCartney sausages but this time I tried some other vegetables that we had in for other recipes this week! Ingredients: For the Dough: 200g Plain Flour 200g Self Raising Flour 7g sachet of Fast Action Yeast 1tsp Caster Sugar 1tsp Salt 2tbsp Vegetable/Sunflower Oil 225ml Warm Water Toppings: Lidl Hunter's Chicken BBQ Sauce Tesco Smoked Cheese (Free From) Linda McCartney Sausages Tin of Sweetcorn 2 Asparagus Tips Half a Red Pepper 2 Closed Cup Mushrooms 1 Red Onion S

How I Became the 'V-Word'

Everyone has a tipping point; that one moment where everything syncs in your mind and you realise your morals and compassion have to align with your daily lifestyle. Some come later than others and that’s okay, as long as we all get there in the end for humanities sake. My realisation didn’t come until Christmas 2015, I was 20. Some may say this is early in life to realise but I’m still astonished it didn’t come sooner. After being vegetarian for 8 years, purely because I thought it was weird to eat a living being and didn’t feel comfortable doing so, I watched Cowspiracy whilst eating a cheese pizza. That was the last dairy I knowingly ate (apart from the occasional curry shop mint sauce that I will come back to later). School was constantly feeling left out, being called “rabbit” and people finding my ironic surname “Bacon” hilarious on a daily basis (people still mention it when they find out and I just let them have a little giggle and get over

RECIPE - Cheese Straws

I used to love cheese straws from my local bakery and when I started baking vegan goodies it was on my list of things to make! RECIPE Ingredients: Half a roll of Puff Pastry Enough vegan Cheese to cover the pastry with a thin layer 2 tsps of mustard (optional) Pre heat oven to 180 degrees. 1. Lightly roll out the puff pastry. 2. Cover the pastry with a thin spread of mustard (or you could use chutney or marmite) 3. Layer the cheese on top. 4. Fold the pastry in half and roll out. Slice the pastry into 8 long pieces. 5. Twist the strips into spirals. 6. Cook on a pizza tray for 12 minutes or until slightly browned. Enjoy!